[Gluster-Maintainers] Coding standard and clang format

Jeff Darcy jeff at pl.atyp.us
Fri Oct 13 16:51:03 UTC 2017

I think we're almost done with the new coding standard.  The only
objections on the last round were formatting issues, and the couple of
rounds before that weren't very controversial either.  I'm sure there
are many other things we could add to help our fellow developers.  I've
seen many of you point them out as "best practices" in reviews on other
patches.  Perhaps if we close on this, it will provide a more solid
basis for further additions.  So please review, and if there are no
objections I'll merge it sometime next week.  Yeah, I know that's a bit
unilateral of me.  If anyone else wants to pick up the baton and get us
to the point of having a coding standard that helps us decrease bugs and
increase maintainability - the main reason to have a standard in the
first place - feel free.  The old standard certainly didn't have the
effect, and I know for sure that leaving the old one in place so long
has discouraged potential contributors.

https://review.gluster.org/#/c/17651/

On a semi-related note, the suggestion has been made that we should run
our code through clang-format (or similar) to ensure more uniformity.
We've resisted doing that in the past because it generates massive
patches that break history (e.g. git blame) and so on.  If we're *ever*
going to do it on existing code then it seems like 4.0 would be it.
Failing that, perhaps we can at least require it for new code.  What do
others think?