[Gluster-Maintainers] [Gluster-devel] Client Server incompatibility with Gluster 4.0

Atin Mukherjee amukherj at redhat.com
Fri Oct 13 13:00:22 UTC 2017

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 at 20:45, Shyam Ranganathan <srangana at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 10/12/2017 11:03 AM, Vijay Bellur wrote:
> >     Further, rolling upgrades of the server becomes a moot point, as
> >     some would be a higher version in the interim and hence prevent
> >     existing clients to talk to the same, as our upgrade process is
> >     servers first and then clients.
> >

> > I do not think we will have rolling upgrades on the server side as we
> > would need glusterd1 and glusterd2 to interoperate for that. From what I
> > understand, we will not have that interoperability. A downtime would be
> > needed for upgrading servers although the expectation is that upgrading
> > the servers would happen quickly.
>
> My thoughts on this as Atin/Kaushal respond (which would probably be
> more definitive anyway).
>
> I would think migrating to GD2 is a separate step by itself, when
> upgrading an existing cluster, it remains in GD1, and then a separate
> GD2 upgrade/migration step(s) is executed.
>
> Further this upgrade/migration would need to be actively supported for 2
> LTM releases (or for a year roughly), at which point it is all GD2
> anyway, IOW the 3rd STM/LTM will work only if the cluster is anready on
> GD2.
>
> Older clusters that are still on GD1/older LTM release at the end of the
> years mark, will need a 2 step upgrade (upgrade to an older LTM where
> GD2 was introduced and supports the migration, then upgrade to the
> latest release).

You covered all the points. That’s how it is planned. And to add, all the
upgrade migrations path (from GD1 to GD2) will need to be carried offline
sincetge configuration data layout for GD2 changes from file based store to
etcd data.

Kaushal - please add if you have more insights.

--
- Atin (atinm)