[Gluster-Maintainers] Client Server incompatibility with Gluster 4.0

Amar Tumballi atumball at redhat.com
Wed Oct 11 09:06:53 UTC 2017

Was (Re: [Gluster-devel] Proposed Protocol changes for 4.0: Need feedback.)

All,

While we are at making all the below tasks' color coding to GREEN, it would
make sense to discuss 1 main thing.

With 4.0, we will anyways say 3.y series server nodes are not going to be
compatible with 4.x servers, is it the same case with clients?

If yes, I am considering some changes to the current way RPC conversion is
handled in protocol layer, and make it simpler a bit.

If no, then I have to add lot of 'if..else' in existing code or extra code
wherever applicable, now, to make sure we handle the compatibility better.

My personal opinion is, talk about incompatibility now, and plan to have
smooth sail even when 5.0 lands. We are anyways coming out with GD2 (which
makes servers incompatible), and gfproxy (which makes clients missing this
feature in older releases), and also possible cherrypicks from upstream
fuse project to utilize more features from there, so for the user, there
are lot of reason to upgrade the clients.

-Amar

--
Amar Tumballi (amarts)