[Gluster-Maintainers] Release 4.0: Schedule and scope clarity (responses needed)

Amar Tumballi atumball at redhat.com
Tue Nov 21 06:20:56 UTC 2017

Thanks for this compilation. Response inline.

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 2:34 AM, Shyam Ranganathan <srangana at redhat.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As this is a longish mail, there are a few asks below, that I request
> folks to focus and answer.
>
> 4.0 is a STM release (Short Term Maintenance), further, 4.1 is also slated
> as a STM release (although the web pages read differently and will be
> corrected shortly). Finally 4.2 would be the first LTM (Long Term ...) in
> the 4.x release line for Gluster.
>
> * Schedule *
> The above also considers that 4.0 will release 2 months from 3.13, which
> puts 4.0 branching (also read as feature freeze deadline) around
> mid-December (4 weeks from now).
>
> 4.0/1/2 release calendar hence looks as follows,
>
> - Release 4.0: (STM)
>   - Feature freeze/branching: mid-December
>   - Release date: Jan, 31st 2018
> - Release 4.1: (STM)
>   - Feature freeze/branching: mid-March
>   - Release date: Apr, 30th 2018
> - Release 4.2: (LTM, release 3.10 EOL'd)
>   - Feature freeze/branching: mid-June
>   - Release date: Jul, 31st 2018
>
> * Scope *
>
> The main focus in 4.0 is landing GlusterD2, and all efforts towards this
> take priority.

Main thing pending on Filesystem side of maintainers is getting the xlators
options sorted out (with default options etc). I have sent few
non-conflicting patches from experimental branch to master and many of them
fail regression tests right now.

GD2 team is working on getting the milestones setup, with their own issues
marked against them. Once complete will post the links here for other's
support.

> Further big features in 4.0 are around GFProxy, protocol layer changes,
> monitoring and usability changes, FUSE catchup, +1 scaling.

+1 scaling is more of an enhancement with GD2.

> Also, some code cleanup/debt areas are in focus.
>
> Now, glusterfs/github [1] reads ~50 issues as being targets in 4.0, and
> among this about 2-4 are marked closed (or done).
>
> Ask1: Request each of you to go through the issue list and coordinate with
> a maintainer, to either mark an issues milestone correctly (i.e retain it
> in 4.0 or move it out) and also leave a comment on the issue about its
> readiness.
>
> Ask 2: If there are issues that you are working on and are not marked
> against the 4.0 milestone, please do the needful for the same.
>
> Ask 3: Please mail the devel list, on features that are making it to 4.0,
> so that the project board can be rightly populated with the issue.
>
> Ask 4: If the 4.0 branching date was extended by another 4 weeks, would
> that enable you to finish additional features that are already marked for
> 4.0? This helps us move the needle on branching to help land the right set
> of features.

The main concerns I have right now for the Dec 15th timeline is the rate at
which regressions are failing. Also holiday time during end of the year may
cause some delay. I am not proposing for the time change yet, but warning
early for possible delay.

Regards,
Amar