[Gluster-Maintainers] proposal on few changes in regression voting to keep upstream 'master' fast moving

Shyam srangana at redhat.com
Tue May 23 14:47:11 UTC 2017

On 05/22/2017 05:23 AM, Amar Tumballi wrote:
> All,
>
> NOTE: Currently sent to only maintainers list, planning to send it to
> 'gluster-devel@' by Wednesday (24th) if there are no serious comments.
>
> Below is mainly a proposal, and I would like to hear people's thought on
> these.
>
>   * Over the years, we have added many test cases to our regression test
>     suite, and currently the testing time stands at ~5hrs for 1 patch.
>     But the current way of '*.t' based regression can't be called as a
>     'complete' test for the filesystem.
>
>   * Correct me if I am wrong, but even when we have to make a release,
>     other than the same set of tests, we don't have much to validate the
>     build.

Yes, the above is true. There was a list curated by Pranith and Aravinda
for 3.9 but, as that is not accessible at present.

> Now considering above points and taking the proposal of'Good Build' from
> Nigel
> <http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-March/052245.html> [1],
> I am thinking of making below changes to how we look at testing and
> stability.
>
> 'What to test on nightly build':
>
>   * Build verification
>   * Run all the regression as it runs now.
>       o Run CentOS regression
>       o Run NetBSD regression
>   * Run coverity
>   * Run gcov/lcov (for coverage)
>   * Run more tests with currently optional options made as default (like
>     brick-multiplexing etc).
>   * Open up the infra to community contribution, so anyone can write
>     test cases to make sure GlusterFS passes their usecases, everynight.
>       o Should be possible to run a python script, ruby script, or a
>         bash script, need not be in a 'prove' like setup.
>   * <Add more here>

+1 to all of the above.

> 'master' branch:
>
>   * make the overall regression lightweight.
>       o Run what netbsd tests run now (ie, basic and features in tests).
>       o Don't run netbsd builds, instead add a compilation test on
>         centos 32bit machine to keep reminding ourself how many warnings
>         we get.
>   * Make sure 'master' branch is well tested in 'Nightly'.
>   * Let the approach of maintainers and over all project is to promote
>     new changes, instead of being very sceptical about new patches, ideas.
>   * Provide option to run the whole nightly build suit with a given
>     patchset to maintainers, so when in doubt, they can ask for the
>     build to complete before merging. Mostly applies to new feature or
>     some changes which change the way things behave fundamentally.
>
> 'release-x.y' branch:
>
>   * During the release-plan come out with target number of 'coverity'
>     issues, and line coverage % to meet. Also consider number of
>     'glusto-tests' to pass.
>   * Agree to branch out early (at least 45days, compared to current
>     30days), so we can iron-out the issues caused by the making the
>     'master' branch process lean.

The above is fine, post branching the activities for a release-owner are
lean (monitor fstat, monitor backports to other releases are made to
current as well, monitor and curate the merge queue). Hence, growing
this window from 30 to 45 days is viable and not process heavy.

Of course, based on what is stated above, more things like fstat needs
monitoring on a regular basis (coverage, coverity, etc.) but not an issue.

>   * Change the voting logic, add more tests now (Example: fall back to
>     current regression suit).

+1 for release branches this is a better option IMO

>   * On the first build, run agreed performance tests and compare the
>     numbers with previous versions.
>   * Run NetBSD regression now.
>       o Btw, noticed the latest NetBSD package is for 3.8.9 (done in Jan).
>       o Work with Emmanuel  <manu at netbsd.org <mailto:manu at netbsd.org>>
>         for better options here.
>   * Run nightly on the branch.
>   * Block the release till we meet the initially agreed metrics during
>     the release-plan. (like coverity/glusto-tests, line coverage etc).

This is a tough one!

How about, block feature growth till we hit targets? Blocking a release
for such needs have often shown that it can take 1-2 months delay in
releasing the same.

I suggest we stick to the release calendar, but keep chasing the right
goals and focus review and maintainer effort on those efforts that takes
us closer to these goals.

IOW, review priority is for things that help in said focus areas, and
only then is time spent in curating other patches. Thoughts?

>   * On the final build, run agree performance tests and publish the
>     numbers. Make sure it is not regressed.

(possibly some are already covered in the good build thread)

- Add install and upgrade tests to this mix (install should be covered
when running above tests, but not upgrades)
   - Upgrade tests to test out all(?) options

- Add, version compatibility tests

- Add testing documented procedures into the mix, IOW, if we state "this
is how you setup(/recover from/address) XYZ" then have a test case for
that. This ensures documented procedures are right, or are improved over
time.