[Gluster-Maintainers] New 'experimental' branch created for validating your ideas

Amar Tumballi atumball at redhat.com
Tue Jun 20 10:35:25 UTC 2017

All,

As proposed earlier [1], the 'experimental' branch is now created and
active. Any submission to this branch is going to be accepted without too
much detailed review, and the focus will be to make sure overall design is
fine. I have put a deadline of a week max for reviewing and merging a patch
if there are no significant problems with the patch.

I welcome everyone to use this branch as an test bed to validate your
ideas, so your patch gets merged, and the nightly regressions would run on
it for some time. Also we are planning to give out RPMs from this branch
every week, so some features which gets completed in experimental can be
tested by wider user-base, and once validated, can land in master branch
and subsequently next release.

A note of caution: Getting a patch merged in experimental is in no way
guarantee to get your patch in any of the upstream glusterfs releases. The
author needs to submit the changes to 'master' branch to get the feature in
releases.

The branch already has some experimental features like:

   - metrics on 'fops' in every xlator layer, instead of only getting it
   with io-stats.
   - latency related information is default.
   - few more metrics added in memory allocation checks.
   - All the above can be seen with sending SIGUSR2 signal to GlusterFS
   process. (@ /tmp/glusterfs.* )

Regards,
Amar

[1] - http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/maintainers/2017-May/002644.html