[Gluster-Maintainers] Merge rights for release branches

Shyam srangana at redhat.com
Tue Jan 10 11:25:08 UTC 2017

Hi,

Tomorrow's maintainers meeting is on the topic of "Maintainer
Guidelines", I do not want to derail that discussion, so sending this
mail ahead of time, to see if there is consensus or if we need to take 5
minutes on this tomorrow.

Q; Who has merge rights on release branches?

Till now we have maintained that release owners have merge rights on the
release branches. If we accept this going forward, then I would request
the infra team to lock down release branches (maybe starting 3.10) to
allow only the identified release owners to have merge rights.

Further, to not get bottle necked, we would need at least 2 and at most
3 release owners for a release branch (again, for LTM at least).

This lock down helps release owners to stay on top of the release
content, and as release content post release branching (or at least port
release), only contains bug fixes (see [1] sent by Niels earlier) it
should not be an overhead for the release owner.

If we are in agreement then I can take the requests forward with the
infra folks.

Thanks,
Shyam

[1] http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/maintainers/2016-May/000706.html