[Gluster-Maintainers] Proposed Protocol changes for 4.0: Need feedback.

Amar Tumballi atumball at redhat.com
Wed Dec 27 13:43:12 UTC 2017

UPDATE:

Most of the plumbing work for new protocol for GlusterFS 4.0 is now done.
Considering its a lot of code, there is scope for cleanup in terms of
reducing duplicate code etc, but we would like to take them up post 4.0
branching.

Some of the main patches, which needs your review and merging help are:

* https://review.gluster.org/18850 : new iatt (for statx() support for
future, but also to keep the backward compatibility).
* https://review.gluster.org/18768 : Changes to common RPC structure, can
be used to send more info in every frame (fop) passed over. Currently adds
create-time of the flag.
* https://review.gluster.org/19096 : Adding more APIs to dict (so that
IATT/UUID can be sent on wire properly).
* https://review.gluster.org/19095 : To modify fop XDRs to add iattx and
new dict format in every fop.
* https://review.gluster.org/19098 : add all the new fops in protocol
xlators. (mostly copy paste and basic modifications).

With these patches merged, the protocol will be brand new, and also will be
backward compatible with 3.x version (both client and server). I request
people concerned with protocol to review these patches, and get them merged
before Jan 15th for branch-out.

Regards,
Amar

--