[Gluster-Maintainers] Patch-etiquette reminder

Jeff Darcy jeff at pl.atyp.us
Thu Aug 31 16:13:29 UTC 2017

I've seen a few patches lately that were merged before affected parties
in other timezones had a chance to see them (or see them in their
current form).  In at least one case, a patch wasn't even reviewed by
*anyone* other than its author before being merged.  I'd like to
discourage this.  Yes, even on the "experimental" branch because that's
already more active than master so it's effectively what master should
be.  If something's not reviewed on experimental, the chances that it
will *ever* be reviewed before being merged into master trend toward
zero.  We have a review process for a reason.  Reviewing helps us avoid
bugs that would be more difficult to find at later stages, and design
errors that might lead to costly rewrites when issues already known in
the community but not to the author are raised.  It's an essential part
of effective collaboration, and we should try to maximize those
benefits.