[Gluster-Maintainers] [Gluster-devel] Maintainers 2.0 Proposal

Amye Scavarda amye at redhat.com
Mon Apr 17 23:53:55 UTC 2017

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 2:40 AM, Michael Scherer <mscherer at redhat.com>
wrote:

> Le jeudi 13 avril 2017 à 18:01 -0700, Amye Scavarda a écrit :
> > In light of community conversations, I've put some revisions on the
> > Maintainers changes, outlined in the hackmd pad:
> > https://hackmd.io/s/SkwiZd4qe
> >
> > Feedback welcomed!
> >
> > Note that the goals of this are to expand out our reach as a project
> > (Gluster.org) and make it easy to define who's a maintainer for what
> > feature.
> > I'll highlight the goals in the document here:
> >
> > * Refine how we declare component owners in Gluster
> > * Create a deeper sense of ownership throughout the open source project
> > * Welcome more contibutors at a project impacting level
> >
> > We've clarified what the levels of 'owners' and 'peers' are in terms of
> > responsibility, and we'll look to implement this in the 3.12 cycle.
> > Thanks!
>
> So, I realize that the concept of component is not defined in the
> document. I assume everybody have a shared understanding about what it
> is, but maybe not, so wouldn't it make sense to define it more clearly ?
>
> Is this planned to be done later as part of "We will be working on
> carving out new components for things that make logical sense." ?
>
> As for example, with regard to my previous comment, would
> "infrastructure" be a component, would "documentation" be a component ?
>
> My understanding is that there's a working spreadsheet being refined to
sort out what's an area that needs a maintainer defined, and what's
something that maybe doesn't need a named maintainer. Documentation is a
tricky place to get to, because that's something that you do just naturally
so that future-you doesn't hate current-you.

However, I'll see if I can't find that spreadsheet because the above
document is more guidelines than practical reality.
Anything else?
 - amye

Amye Scavarda | amye at redhat.com | Gluster Community Lead