[Gluster-Maintainers] Maintainers are responsible for backporting bugfixes

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Tue Sep 13 08:19:25 UTC 2016

Hi,

just a reminder that maintainers are responsible for their components in
the master branch, but also stable branches. In practise that means
whenever a maintainer merges a bugfix, they should consider getting a
backport done to the stable branches.

Either the maintainer backports the patch themselves, or discusses with
the developer of the original patch to also submit a backport.

When I merge patches, I try to think about the need for a backport as
well. For simple and straight forward changes, I send backports
immediately after hitting the [submit] button and updating the bug
status. Sometimes bugs for the stable releases do not exist yet, in
which case I normally clone the one from 'mainline'.

If all maintainers follow a similar workflow, we should be getting
pretty solid stable releases.

Comments on this are most welcome. At one point this responsiblity of
being a maintainer will be included in our docs too.

Thanks,
Niels