[Gluster-Maintainers] Backlog and feature planning

Shyam srangana at redhat.com
Wed Nov 16 01:26:09 UTC 2016

All,

A couple of maintainer meetings prior (which is about 4-6 weeks in all),
we decided to give our backlog planning and overall release planning a
re-look.

Over the course of this re-look, we piloted and gathered some feedback
[1] on using github issues and projects [2], as a manner of planning.

What seems to be coming out of this exercise is that, we can go ahead
with github issues, and use the following category of labels to tag the
issues themselves,

- Component backlog labels
- Experimental components labels
- Focus areas labels

What still needs some change, debate, or clarification, seems to be,

- Labels to denote phase of the issue
- Labels to denote priority of the issue
- Issues labels versus project boards
- Milestones and what are they?
- How should the project boards look like

So, we are moving ahead with issues and github, to start with, that
include the agreed upon labels (as stated above). We will resolve the
other items as we discuss and come to a conclusion on what we need from
the project boards and other label categories.

We will also roll this out with more text around the process etc. to our
devel list, and are not changing anything for users at present (i.e they
go ahead with BZ as the source till we are solid with these planning
changes).

Thanks,
Shyam

[1] Feedback on the issues and project boards:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q0p-Z4uI_xvA90k29TdEy8xkjKG9FSa2qudzM-9E6-8/edit?usp=sharing

[2] Pilot github project, labels and issues: https://github.com/gluster/test
   - Interesting sub links here,
     - https://github.com/gluster/test/labels