[Gluster-Maintainers] [Gluster-devel] Please pause merging patches to 3.9 waiting for just one patch

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Thu Nov 10 16:01:23 UTC 2016

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 10:49 AM, Shyam <srangana at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 11/10/2016 10:21 AM, Vijay Bellur wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 10:16 AM, Manikandan Selvaganesh
>> <manikandancs333 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Enabling/disabling quota or removing limits are the ways in which
>>> quota.conf
>>> is regenerated to the later version. It works properly. And as Pranith
>>> said,
>>> both enabling/disabling takes a lot of time to crawl(though now much
>>> faster
>>> with enhanced quota enable/disable process) which we cannot suggest the
>>> users with a lot of quota configuration. Resetting the limit using
>>> limit-usage does not work properly. I have tested the same. The
>>> workaround
>>> is based on the user setup here. I mean the steps he exactly used in
>>> order
>>> matters here. The workaround is not so generic. However, quota
>>> enable/disable would regenerate the file on any case.
>>>
>>> IMO, this bug is critical. I am not sure though how often users would hit
>>> this - Updating from 3.6 to latest versions. From 3.7 to latest, its
>>> fine,
>>> this has nothing to do with this patch.
>>>

>> Given that we are done with the last release in 3.6.x, I think there
>> would be users looking to upgrade.  My vote is to include the
>> necessary patches in 3.9 and not let users go through unnatural
>> workflows to get quota working again in 3.9.0.
>

> <Comment is without knowing if the necessary patches are good to go>
>
> Consider this a curiosity question ATM,
>
> 3.9 is an LTM, right? So we are not stating workflows here are set in stone?
> Can this not be an projected workflow?

3.9 is a STM release as per [1].

Irrespective of a release being LTM or not, being able to upgrade to a
release without operational disruptions is a requirement.

I was referring to the upgrade workflow in my previous email. I seem
to be having a dense moment and am unable to comprehend your question
about workflows. Can you please re-phrase that for me?

Thanks!
Vijay

[1] https://www.gluster.org/community/release-schedule/