[Gluster-Maintainers] [gluster-packaging] glusterfs-3.8rc1 has been released for testing

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Mon May 23 13:50:09 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 12:31:36PM +0000, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 08:04:08AM -0400, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:
> > My point is that it's not really clear ? to me ? that that's the best
> > (or most practical) choice. I'd like to hear from Patrick and Emmanuel.
>
> My two cents: the canonicalway of releasing software is to run
> autotools on it before releasing so that reelased tarball contains
> no autotools-related dependency.
>
> I am not sure of what happened with config.sub here, but we are lucky
> since we can just add it as empty file as a second best solution.

The problem is that the releases are made on a RHEL/CentOS-6 system. The
version of autotools is pretty old, and those scripts do not provide
support for new architectures/platforms.

Not all build environments require the config.{gues,sub} scripts,
depending on the parameters that get passed to ./configure. If NetBSD
works with empty scripts, the script may even not get executed at all.
The patch at http://review.gluster.org/14503 replaces those scripts with
one that writes a message and does a 'exit 1'. Could you test that on a
NetBSD environment and verify if building the port still works fine? You
can get a tarball with the change from here:

  https://devos.fedorapeople.org/tmp/glusterfs-3.9dev.tar.gz

Thanks,
Niels