[Gluster-Maintainers] Updating Maintainers Guide

Venky Shankar vshankar at redhat.com
Thu Mar 3 05:26:49 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 02, 2016 at 07:17:58PM +0530, Kaushal M wrote:
> Hello maintainers!
>
> If you didn't know, we have a maintainers guide at [1]. This document
> describes what is expected from a GlusterFS maintainer, and is a quick
> guide on maintainer-ship.
>
> But this document is very light at the moment, and can be improved.
> So, I'd like to know what other information can be added to the doc.
> I'll start.
>
> - Properly describe the responsibilities of different types of
> maintainers; sub-maintainers, release-maintainers etc.
> - Define the process for becoming a maintainer (Neils came up with
> this actually)

At the very minimum -

* If a developer designs/(re)implements a feature, in most cases, would be
  the (co)maintainer of the feature.
    - Exceptions?

* Maintainership transfer
  - If the current maintainer of a feature is looking out to relinquish
    maintainership, a mail regarding the same needs to be sent to the
    maintainers and devel list for possible takers.

  - If the current maintainer has already identified a developer who
    he/she thinks would be apt to take over the maintainership, the
    proposal needs to be sent out to maintainers and devel list.

    [
        It's better that the current and the proposed maintainer have at
        least spoken about this before the proposal is made. Always true?
    ]

  Either way, the proposal (and the new maintainer addition) needs to be
  approved by the community.

Additionally, we could follow or take hints from other open source projects
out there.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

                Venky