[Gluster-Maintainers] Release scheduling and lifecycle of versions

Amye Scavarda amye at redhat.com
Wed Jun 15 00:58:24 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 5:38 PM, Pranith Kumar Karampuri <
pkarampu at redhat.com> wrote:

> hi,
>         Some of our managers were cautioning us to use the term LTS with
> care as it means something else in ubuntu world where LTS is how they make
> money by providing support. I see that quite a few open source projects
> have similar release cadence but they don't call them LTS. They call them
> stable branches. May be it makes sense to call them stable branches and
> feature branches rather than LTS/non-LTS? Suggestions for other names is
> welcome. At least we need to clear any confusion that we are not looking to
> make money out of the LTS branches :-D. Different name for the branches is
> preferable.
>
> This is what I was cautioning around:

## Results of several rounds of discussion

It seems that a 3 month release cycle is the most attractive. Each
alternating major release would be a Long-Term-Support (LTS) one, the
others are short living versions for users that are eager to test out a
new feature.

We should use a different word to make clear what we're actually offering.
I am fine with 'stable', 'currently receiving patches', whatever. The S in
Support, I feel, should be a downstream concern, and I am not sure we are
making that clear within ourselves.

-- a

--
Amye Scavarda | amye at redhat.com | Gluster Community Lead