[Gluster-Maintainers] Release scheduling and lifecycle of versions

Dustin Black dblack at redhat.com
Mon Aug 1 20:32:58 UTC 2016

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 3:06 PM, Dustin Black <dblack at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed Jun 15 13:07:20 UTC 2016, Niels de Vos wrote:

> > > The kernel calls its long term upstream versions "stable" releases or
> > > branches. LTS could stand for long term stable I suppose :)
> > >
> > > I don't think that we really care much, what we call the community
branches
> > > should be a community call. I would agree that avoiding "supported"
in the
> > > title is probably a good thing, but don't lose sleep over those terms.
> >
> > Oh, yes, great idea!
> >
> >    LTS: Long Term Stable - 1 year of bugfixes
> >    STS: Short Term Stable - 3 months of bugfixes
> >
> > We should use that :D
> > Niels
>
> How about "LTM: Long Term Maintenance" and "STM: Short Term Maintenance"?
It keeps the spirit without the possible conflicts or confusion related to
"support" or what the communities may (or may not) expect from the
similarity to Ubuntu's acronyms.

> -Dustin

Building on the ASCII diagrams that Niels started (and continuing with the
"LTM" terminology that I've proposed and prefer), I would like to devise
graphics for the release website that explain the ongoing release schedule
in a way that doesn't need constant updating with release numbers and dates
(though we would likely maintain a separate table of actual and planned
releases).

I think it's best if this is broken into two sections: pre-3.8 and
post-3.8. The first section necessarily needs release numbers so that we
can properly document the retirement of the old release schedule. It would
look something like the below.

Current Releases up to 3.7:

+----+
 3.5 | *EOL at 3.8 release
+----+-----+
     : 3.6 | *EOL at 3.9 release
+----------+-----+
     :     : 3.7 | *EOL at 3.10 release
+----------------+
     :     :     :
     :     :     :
     +-----------------+
     +-----+-----------+
           +-----+-----+
                 | 3.10
                 +-----+

The second section would graphically represent the ongoing 3-month release
schedule with every other release a LTM release. I think showing a roughly
18 month spread is enough to get the point across well.

 Release and Maintenance plan for 3.8+:

 +-----------------------+
 | Release 1 LTM         |
 +-----+-----+-----------+
 :     | R2  |           :
 :     +-----------------------------+
 :     :     | Release 3 LTM         |
 :     :     +-----+-----+-----------+
 :     :     :     | R4  |           :
 :     :     :     +-----------------------------+
 :     :     :     :     | Release 5 LTM         |
 :     :     :     :     +-----+-----+-----------+
 :     :     :     :     :     | R6  |
 :     :     :     :     :     +-----+
 0   +3mos +6mos +9mos +12mos      +18mos      ...

Labeling the releases as numbers above is probably a problem, but I was
struggling to find a better way to denote the release progression. Ideas?

Obviously this will all look better and will more clearly illustrate the
release schedule when nicely rasterized, which I will work on.

Just in case the ASCII art gets squashed by your e-mail clients, I've
attached the above as a pdf file.

Cheers!
-Dustin