[Gluster-Maintainers] RFC for change in release model

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Fri Apr 15 09:46:57 UTC 2016

hi,
         Yesterday Vijay, Niels and I discussed(#gluster-dev) that there
has been a tension/conflict between keeping a release stable vs maturing
new features where users have been giving feedback.
At the moment if the feature misses a release, for us to get feedback
from users it generally takes 7-8 months because it needs to get into
next release. So we want to shorten it by following shorter minor
release cycles (3months) with some releases termed as long term
support(LTS) like we have in Ubuntu world(At least that is where I first
heard it). So the proposal is to have 3.8 as long-term support release,
3.9 to be released in September which is not a long-term support
release. As soon as 4.0 gets released 3.9 based releases will stop as
all those features will move to 4.0. branch. This will make sure that
small features won't be backported to already released branches. Also we
can point enthusiastic users to try the new features out in the next
release, which is not too far off.

        From a user's perspective people who are not looking for any new
features should stay on long-term-support branch based releases. Where
as people who are interested in a new feature can start their testing
with release where the feature is available whether it is going to be
long-term-support or not and give us feedback, if they like the
stability they can even put that in production. Once the feature is in a
LTS branch they should stick to LTS branches from then on.

         Please feel free to let us know what you guys think about this.
Main problem we need to solve is to prevent new features to land in the
middle of stable release cycles. At the same time not have longer wait
times for users to give us feedback.

Pranith