[Gluster-Maintainers] Proposal for keeping the release-* branches more stable

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Fri Apr 1 08:48:17 UTC 2016

It seems that we are very eager on backporting things to release-3.7 and
hopefully also release-3.6 and release-3.5. As maintainers we have the
duty to keep the stable branches stable. We regulary introduce
regressions by backporting changes that were not fully backed in the
master branch. The most recent one being the broken 'make dist' tarball
that would prevent users and distributions from packaging 3.7.10.

I am of the opinion that we need more strict guidelines for backports,
so that the stable branches do not break as often as is happening now.
One of the options is that we only backport changes that have been in
the master branch for X days. We're working on adding more nightly
testing of the master branch and this hopefully catches mistakes early,
before someone does a backport.

We could even investigate how to add a 'zero-day-tested' flag in Gerrit
after the tests successfully run.

I would like to hear the opinion of ALL maintainers on this list. We
need maintainers to be responsive to emails here, see it as a test :-)

Thanks,
Niels