[Gluster-Maintainers] Community Transparency [Was: Responsibilities and expectations of our maintainers]

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Mon Jun 29 07:16:46 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 01:43:12AM -0400, Krishnan Parthasarathi wrote:

> [...]

I think a "merge window" mainly helps the top most maintainers, like
Linus for the Linux kernel. He normally gets merge requests sent by
sub-tree maintainers. Those sub-tree maintainers (who also have other
sub-tree maintainers) often accept patches outside of the merge window
too. There is a certain expectation of Linus merging all requests from
other maintainers during the "merge window".

In the case for our maintainers, we do not get "ready to merge" patches.
We still need to review them. A "review window" sounds more suitable for
how we work, and it sets the right expectations for developers posting
patches.

Consider something like this:
 - a monthly schedule, starting the 1st of each month
 - 3 weeks of "post anything"
 - last week+ for "review window"

The problem I see with this, is that we 'allow' maintainers to not
review changes in a timely matter. IMHO we should give feedback on
patches as quickly as possible, keep the developers engaged in fixing
and updating their change.

A "review window" (or several) for new features and big changes when we
plan for a new release would be good. It should force developers to post
their patches much in advance. If they did not post them before the
"review window", those changes will not be considered for the release.

This would require us to categorize "new features" and "big changes". I
think the "new features" should be obvious, and I see "big changes" as
a patch(series) of 100+ lines of code modifications (sometimes smaller,
more complex patches too).

Well, those are my 1st thoughts :)

Niels