[GEDI] [Gluster-devel] Get GFID for a file through libgfapi

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Mon Jan 9 20:38:55 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jan 09, 2017 at 05:53:03PM +0000, Ankireddypalle Reddy wrote:
> Hi,
>         I am trying to extract the GFID for a file through libgfapi interface. When I try to extract the value of extended attribute glusterfs.gfid through libgfapi I get the errorno: 95.  This works for FUSE though. Is there a way to extract the GFID for a file through libgfapi.

It seems that this is a case where FUSE handles the xatts special. The
glusterfs.gfid and glusterfs.gfid.string (VIRTUAL_GFID_XATTR_KEY and
VIRTUAL_GFID_XATTR_KEY_STR) are specifically handled in
xlators/mount/fuse/src/fuse-bridge.c.

There is a way to get the GFID, but it probably is rather a cumbersome
workaround for you. The handle-API is used heavily by NFS-Ganesha
(because NFS uses filehandles more than filenames), and extracts the
GFID from the 'struct glfs_object' with glfs_h_extract_handle(). A basic
example of how to obtain and extract the handle is in
https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/blob/master/tests/basic/gfapi/bug1291259.c

Could you explain the need for knowing the GFID in the application? We
can extend gfapi with fetching the GFID if that would help you.

Niels

PS: we have a new integration at gluster.org where external projects can
ask gfapi related questions. The gluster-devel list tends to be a little
heavy on traffic for non-Gluster developers.