[Gluster-users] Upgrading while still having heal pending entries experiences

Ilias Chasapakis forumZFD chasapakis at forumZFD.de
Mon Sep 12 14:47:17 UTC 2022

Hi all,

We are facing problems with our current configuration in replica scheme
and have many unhealed directory entries with "error 22" in the shd log,
that then loop infinitely and so remain stuck.

> [2022-09-11 08:28:04.346243 +0000] E [MSGID: 114031]
> [client-rpc-fops_v2.c:211:client4_0_mkdir_cbk] *0-client-2*: remote
> operation failed. [{*path=(null)*}, {*errno=22*}, *{error=Das Argument
> ist ungültig}] *

There is a different thread regarding our non-healing volume and we
followed the various suggestions (for which we thank everyone so much).

What we were wondering while assessing the risks of any of the
last-resort suggested operations (e.g. removing-re-adding brick) is how
high on that scale is upgrading our glusterfs version online or offline
(and if makes some difference in terms of risk to do it offline respect
to online for example).

Did you have any experience on this? We know the recommendation is to
upgrade only after no healing entries are reported, but perhaps someone
has had the same need as us (the behaviour is much like a bug as we have
tried really many approaches) and had a successful story upgrading
without having all entries healed before starting? The idea behind it is
that if it is a bug that has been fixed now, then the healing entries
will get "unstuck". We are currently on 9.2.

Best regards.

Ilias

--
forumZFD
Entschieden für Frieden | Committed to Peace

Ilias Chasapakis
Referent IT | IT Consultant

Forum Ziviler Friedensdienst e.V. | Forum Civil Peace Service
Am Kölner Brett 8 | 50825 Köln | Germany

Tel 0221 91273243 | Fax 0221 91273299 |http://www.forumZFD.de

Vorstand nach § 26 BGB, einzelvertretungsberechtigt | Executive Board:
Oliver Knabe (Vorsitz | Chair), Jens von Bargen, Alexander Mauz
VR 17651 Amtsgericht Köln

Spenden | Donations: IBAN DE37 3702 0500 0008 2401 01 BIC BFSWDE33XXX