[Gluster-users] link files not being created

Xavi Hernandez jahernan at redhat.com
Mon Oct 17 11:43:23 UTC 2022

Hi Stefan,

On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 1:03 PM Stefan Solbrig <stefan.solbrig at ur.de> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I was doing some testing regarding to GlusterFS link files (as they are
> created by a "move" operation). According to this document:
> https://www.gluster.org/glusterfs-algorithms-distribution/  If a link
> file is missing, it should be created after accessing the file.
> However, I don't see this behaviour.  If I delete (by hand) a link file on
> the brick, the file is still accessible, but the link file is never
> recreated. I can do an "open" or a "stat" on the file without getting an
> error, but the link file is not created.
> Is this the intended behaviour? Or am I misunderstanding the above
> mentioned document?

You shouldn't access or modify the backend filesystems manually, you can
accidentally create unexpected problems if you don't fully understand what
you are doing.

That said, most probably the access to the file is still working because
Gluster is using its cached information to locate the file. If the client
mount is restarted, probably the file won't be accessible anymore unless
you disable the "lookup-optimize" option (and this should recreate the link
file).

Regards,

Xavi