[Gluster-users] How Does Gluster Failover

Joe Julian joe at julianfamily.org
Wed Aug 31 14:55:39 UTC 2022

With a replica volume the client connects and writes to all the replicas
directly. For reads, when a filename is looked up the client checks with
all the replicas and, if the file is healthy, opens a read connection to
the first replica to respond (by default).

If a server is shut down, the client receives the tcp messages that
close the connection. For read operations, it chooses the next server.
Writes will just continue to the remaining replicas (metadata is stored
in extended attributes to inform future lookups and the self-healer of
file health).

If a server crashes (no tcp finalization) the volume will pause for
ping-timeout seconds (42 by default). Then continue as above. BTW, that
42 second timeout shouldn't be a big deal. The MTBF should be
sufficiently far apart that this should still easily get you five or six
nines.