[Gluster-users] Directory in split brain does not heal - Gfs 9.2

Ilias Chasapakis forumZFD chasapakis at forumZFD.de
Wed Aug 31 12:30:20 UTC 2022

Hi all,

so we went further and deleted the entries (data and gfid). The split
brain is now gone, but when we triggered a heal again (simple and full)
we have many entries stuck in healing (no split-brain items). They are
there since days/weeks and still appearing.

We would like to heal single files but as they are not in split brain I
guess this is not possible right? The "source-brick" technique works
only in that case I think?

A concrete example of one of that files that are stuck in the healing
queue: I checked the attributes with getfattr and saw that one of the
nodes does not have nor the data or the gfid. Missing completely. How
could I trigger a replication from the "good copy" to the gluster node
that does not have the file? Is it possible for entries *not* in split
brain? Doing a listing on the mount side (ls) of the affected directory
did not seem to trigger a heal.

Also the shd logs have some ambiguous (for me) entries. The sink value
is empty, shouldn´t it be a number indicating it is healing?

> [2022-08-28 17:22:11.098604 +0000] I [MSGID: 108026]
> [afr-self-heal-common.c:1742:afr_log_selfheal] 0-vol-replicate-0:
> Completed metadata selfheal on 94503c97-7731-4aa1-8a14-2c6ea5a84a15.
> sources=1 [2]  sinks=
> [2022-08-28 17:22:16.227091 +0000] I [MSGID: 108026]
> [afr-self-heal-common.c:1742:afr_log_selfheal] 0-gv-ho-replicate-0:
> Completed metadata selfheal on 94503c97-7731-4aa1-8a14-2c6ea5a84a15.
> sources=1 [2]  sinks=

I try to use the guide here:

https://docs.gluster.org/en/main/Troubleshooting/troubleshooting-afr/#ii-self-heal-is-stuck-not-getting-completed

but find difficult to apply.

Do you have any suggestions on how to "unblock" these stuck entries and
what is a methodic approach to troubleshooting this situation?

Finally I would like to ask if the risk of updating the glusters (we
have pending updates now) would be too dangerous without previously
fixing the unhealed entries. Our hope is that an update could eventually
fix the problems.

Best regards.
Ilias