[Gluster-users] GlusterFS storage driver deprecation in Kubernetes.

Humble Chirammal hchiramm at redhat.com
Thu Aug 11 12:16:40 UTC 2022

Hey Gluster Community,

As you might be aware, there is an effort in the kubernetes community to
remove in-tree storage plugins to reduce external dependencies and security
concerns in the core Kubernetes. Thus, we are in a process to gradually
deprecate all the in-tree external storage plugins and eventually remove
them from the core Kubernetes codebase.  GlusterFS is one of the very first
dynamic provisioners which was made into kubernetes v1.4 ( 2016 ) release
via https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/pull/30888 . From then on many
deployments were/are making use of this driver to consume GlusterFS volumes
in Kubernetes/Openshift clusters.

As part of this effort, we are planning to deprecate GlusterFS intree
plugin in 1.25 release and planning to take out Heketi code from Kubernetes
Code base in subsequent release. This code removal will not be following
kubernetes' normal deprecation policy [1] and will be treated as an
exception [2]. The main reason for this exception is that, Heketi is in
"Deep Maintenance" [3], also please see [4] for the latest push back from
the Heketi team on changes we would need to keep vendoring heketi into
kubernetes/kubernetes. We cannot keep heketi in the kubernetes code base as
heketi itself is literally going away. The current plan is to start
declaring the deprecation in kubernetes v1.25 and code removal in v1.26.

If you are using GlusterFS driver in your cluster setup, please reply with
below info before 16-Aug-2022 to dev at kubernetes.io ML on thread ( Deprecation
of intree GlusterFS driver in 1.25) or to this thread which can help us to
make a decision on when to completely remove this code base from the repo.

- what version of kubernetes are you running in your setup ?

- how often do you upgrade your cluster?

- what vendor or distro you are using ? Is it any (downstream) product
offering or upstream GlusterFS driver directly used in your setup?

Awaiting your feedback.

Thanks,

Humble

[1] https://kubernetes.io/docs/reference/using-api/deprecation-policy/