[Gluster-users] Gluster usage scenarios in HPC cluster management

Erik Jacobson erik.jacobson at hpe.com
Fri Mar 19 16:24:00 UTC 2021

> But I've also tested using tmpfs (allocating half of the RAM per compute node)
> and exporting that as a distributed stripped GlusterFS volume over NFS over
> RDMA to the 100 Gbps IB network so that the "ramdrives" can be used as a high
> speed "scratch disk space" that doesn't have the write endurance limits that
> NAND based flash memory SSDs have.

In my world, we leave the high speed networks to jobs so I don't have
much to offer. In our test SU Leader setup where we may not have disks,
we do carve gluster bricks out of TMPS mounts. However, in that test
case, designed to test the tooling and not the workload, I use iscsi to
emulate disks to test the true solution.

I will just mention that the cluster manager use of squashfs image
objects sitting on NFS mounts is very fast even on top of 20G (2x10G)
mgmt infrastructure. If you combine it with a TMPFS overlay, which is
our default, you will have a writable area in to TMPFS that doesn't
persist. You will have low memory usage.

For a 4-node cluster, you probably don't need to bother with squashfs
even and just mount the directory tree for the image at the right time.

By using tmpfs overlay and some post-boot configuration, you can perhaps
avoid the memory usage of what you are doing. As long as you don't need
to beat the crap out of root, an NFS root is fine and using gluster
backed disks is fine. Note that if you use exported trees with gnfs
instead of image objects, there are lots of volume tweaks you can make
to push efficiency up. For squashfs, I used a sharded volume.

It's easy for me to write this since we have the install environment.
While nothing is "Hard" in there, it's a bunch of code developed over
time. That said, if you wanted to experiment, I can share some pieces of
what we do. I just fear it's too complicated.

I will note that some customers advocate for a tiny root - say 1.5G --
that could fit in TMPFS easily and then attach in workloads (other
filesystems with development environments over the network, or container
environments, etc). That would be another way to keep memory use low for
a diskless cluster.

(we use gnfs because we're not ready to switch to ganesha yet. It's on
our list to move if we can get it working for our load).