[Gluster-users] Freenode takeover and GlusterFS IRC channels

Jordan Erickson jerickson at logicalnetworking.net
Mon Jun 7 15:51:05 UTC 2021

I'm relatively new to the community but I would vote for having a point
of presence on libera.chat, or OFTC as some other F/OSS projects are
moving there as an alternative. I use IRC daily for supporting my own
projects as well as related projects such as GlusterFS. Personally I
hadn't heard of Matrix until the whole Freenode fiasco happened, so I
would imagine others may be in the same boat. Anyway, just my $0.02 :)

Cheers,
Jordan Erickson

On 6/7/21 5:51 AM, Anoop C S wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I hope many of us are aware of the recent changes that happened at
> Freenode IRC network(in case you are not, feel free to look into
> details based on various resignation letters from long-time then
> Freenode staff starting with [1]). In the light of this take over
> situation, many open source communities have moved over to its
> replacement i.e, libera.chat[2].
>
> Now I would like to open this up to GlusterFS community to think about
> moving forward with our current IRC channels(#gluster, #gluster-dev and
> #gluster-meeting) on Freenode. How important are those channels for
> GlusterFS project? How about moving over to libera.chat in case we
> stick to IRC communication?
>
> Let's discuss and conclude on the way forward..
>
> Note:- Matrix[3] platform is also an option nowadays and we do have a
> Gluster room(#gluster:matrix.org) there ! welcome..welcome :-)
>
> Regards,
> Anoop C S
>

> [1] https://fuchsnet.ch/freenode-resign-letter.txt
> [2] https://libera.chat/
> [3] https://matrix.org/
>
> ________
>

> Community Meeting Calendar:
>
> Schedule -
> Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 14:30 IST / 09:00 UTC
> Bridge: https://meet.google.com/cpu-eiue-hvk

Jordan Erickson (PGP: 0x78DD41CB)
Logical Networking Solutions, 707-636-5678