[Gluster-users] Need hardware suggestions for gluster + archival usecase

Arman Khalatyan arm2arm at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 20:08:27 UTC 2021

hi Pranith,
we keep our  research  (astrophysical/telescope/simulations) data on the
tapes,there we hold them on the same generation of the tapes around 10-12y
old.
our data is incremental over 1990-2021, currently over petabyte...in early
90-th we have started with a few GB,1-10 DDS tapes ~1GB each, now we are
moving to LTO8(12TB), in 30y span we got 1GB vs 12TB /tape

our main strategy is:
1) keep data live on raplicated - raids or triplicated glusterfs+zfs for
now, or most of the data is on the lustrefs(for the  performance reasons)
2) keep all data also on the tapes
3) replace/renew every 5-6years raid hardware
4) get the new tapes every 10years, store the all old data on the new
technology tapes

do not forget that the old tapes you cannot read with the modern hardware,
and after 20y you are not able even find any old reader in the market, so
better to keep all old hardware in the cave :).

Pranith Kumar Karampuri <pranith.karampuri at phonepe.com> schrieb am Do., 15.
Juli 2021, 11:28: