[Gluster-users] Suggested setup for VM images

Diego Zuccato diego.zuccato at unibo.it
Fri Feb 26 10:44:43 UTC 2021

Hello all.

What server config would you suggest for hosting live VM images?
I'd have to replace a Dell MD3200 and a Dell MD3800i that are getting
too old and I'd like to have a distributed architecture to avoid SPOF.

What are the recommended RAM/CPU/#of disks per server?

We're currently using 3 servers configured with 2 * Intel(R) Xeon(R)
Silver 4210, 96GB RAM (6x16G -- probably it could be better to increase
it), up to 36 12TB spinning disks. Volume is Distributed-Replicate with
2 data copies + 1 arbiter. But they're serving normal (small-medium)
files, not big images (and sometimes an ls takes 3s... uhm...) so the
workload is quite different...

--
Diego Zuccato
DIFA - Dip. di Fisica e Astronomia