[Gluster-users] Replica bricks fungible?

Diego Zuccato diego.zuccato at unibo.it
Fri Apr 23 11:53:36 UTC 2021

Il 23/04/21 13:30, Zenon Panoussis ha scritto:

> Are all replica (non-arbiter) bricks identical to each
> other? If not, what do they differ in?
No. At least meta-metadata is different, IIUC.

> What I'm really asking is: can I physically move a brick
> from one server to another such as
[...]
> and then remove node2 from the volume, add node4 to
> it and be back up and running without the need of any
> synchronisation?I'm no expert, but I think you can't. It might be an interesting
feature, tho. Could be very useful to quickly scale a cluster w/o moving
terabytes of data via network: move some (carefully-chosen) bricks from
old nodes to the new one, replace 'em with empty disks and expand.
Something like MD-RAID metadata.

--
Diego Zuccato
DIFA - Dip. di Fisica e Astronomia