[Gluster-users] Replica 3 scale out and ZFS bricks

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw.ml at ithnet.com
Thu Sep 17 11:05:34 UTC 2020

On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 12:21:01 +0200
Alexander Iliev <ailiev+gluster at mamul.org> wrote:

> On 9/17/20 3:37 AM, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> > Nevertheless you will break performance anyway by deploying user-space
> > crawling-slow glusterfs... outcome of 10 wasted years of development in the
> > wrong direction.
>
> Genuinely asking - what would you recommend instead of GlusterFS for a
> highly available, horizontally scalable storage system?

I was a glusterfs user for years waiting for significant performance
improvements. But they never arrived. Instead the software got from a fs
driver to a userspace collection of tools of a fs emulation with complete
bogus configs without the slightest path to a working and overall useable
setup.
IOW it was developed into a deadend.
And honestly I would be the first to deploy it again if it came back to where
it was, a network fs exporting a linux-fs with no additional bs. The day
where this changed to something needing to copy every file onto over glusterfs
to work "properly" was the first day of its death.
The original idea was great, the implementation is useless.
And yes, there is a lack of a HA network fs (which is indeed one, not
something like ceph).
This is why I even feel more sorry about the whole ongoings. It could have
been a big hit. But it failed miserably.
My last trust is in Matt Dillon and Hammer2. Yes, this is a longterm believe

Regards
Stephan