[Gluster-users] Correct way to migrate brick to new server (Gluster 6.10)

Alex Wakefield AlexWakefield at fastmail.com.au
Wed Sep 16 05:33:47 UTC 2020

Hi all,

We have a distribute replicate gluster volume running Gluster 6.10 on Ubuntu 18.04 machines. Its a 2 x 2 brick setup (2 bricks, 2 replicas).

We need to migrate the existing bricks to new hardware without downtime and are lost at whats the proper way to do it. I've found this post [1] which suggests that we can do a replace-brick command and move it to the new server without downtime but this [2] mailinglist thread suggests this isn't the correct way to do it anymore?

The gluster docs [3] have information for replacing _faulty_ bricks but our bricks aren't faulty, we just need to move them to new hardware. We've tried using this method mentioned in the docs in the past but have found that the volume gets into weird states where files go into read-only mode or have their permissions set to root:root. It basically plays havoc on the fs mount that the clients use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Apologies if I've left any information out.

[1]: https://joejulian.name/post/replacing-a-glusterfs-server-best-practice/
[2]: https://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2012-October/011502.html
[3]: https://docs.gluster.org/en/latest/Administrator%20Guide/Managing%20Volumes/#replace-faulty-brick

Cheers,