[Gluster-users] Setup recommendations

Nico van Royen nico at van-royen.nl
Mon Oct 19 11:39:41 UTC 2020

Hello,

>4 cores is quite low, especially when healing.
The 4 cores (and, by default, 8GB RAM), is a standard offering in our situations.  It would be up to the specific usage our end-users to see of that is enough (most deployed glusters in our environment have an average of 5% total usage, so that does seem to be quite enough).  Even this particular gluster hardly even goes above 10/15% .. except when rebalancing after adding bricks (then shoots to 80% during the several hours of rebalancing).

>Why not FUSE ? Ganesha is suitable for UNIX and BSD systems that do not support FUSE.
When we designed our offering we did had a hard-time choosing the default..  Fuse vs NFS...  Since we have (very) large environment,  loads of network-segments, layer-7 firewalls across subnets, and a variety of possible clients (windows, aix, solaris, linux) we opted for NFS (via Ganesha).  Each OS can handle NFS and by sticking to NFSv4.0 with TCP it makes opening firewalls to only TCP/2049 a lot simpler (else all of the different ports needed for brick connections + glusterfsd itself need to be opened).

>Consider increasing the 'token' and 'consensus' to a more meaningful values -> start with 10s token for example.
That is actually something we did not yet look at, thanks for the suggestion.. we'd would need to test this but would sound like a good recommendation (currently they're at RedHat's defaults).

>For performance improvements , I would add some SSDs in the game (tier 1+ storage) and use the SSD-based LUNs as lvm caching.
As much as we'd like to, unfortunately not possible in our environment.  We use a 'private cloud' (which is not even a cloud, just a beefy vmware environment), and each tenant/consumer gets the same type of resources.
Problems of a large (and often sluggish) financial company....
It currently hosts almost 20.000 VM instances in total (80% RHEL based) and among that appr 55 gluster-clusters.

Customizing the corosync values to somewhat larger times does sound that it can help in this case (less busy glusters seem to be able to cope well), thanks for this suggestion!

Regards,
Nico