[Gluster-users] high load when copy directory with many files

Marco Lerda - FOREACH S.R.L. marco.lerda at foreach.it
Mon Oct 5 17:45:39 UTC 2020

hi,
we use glusterfs on a php application that have many small php files
images etc...
We use glusterfs in replication mode.
We have 2 nodes connected in fiber with 100MBps and less than 1 ms latency.
We have also an arbiter on slower network (but the issue is there also
without the arbiter).
When we copy a directory (cp command) with many files, cpu usage and
load explode raplidly,
our application become inaccessible until the copy ends.

I wonder if is that normal or we have done something wrong.
I know that glusterfs is not indicated with many small files, and I know
that it slow down,
but I want to avoid that a simple copy of a directory will put down out
application.

Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot