[Gluster-users] Poor performance on a server-class system vs. desktop

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Thu Nov 26 17:14:56 UTC 2020

Il 2020-11-26 09:47 Dmitry Antipov ha scritto:
> On 11/26/20 11:29 AM, Gionatan Danti wrote:
>
>> Can you details your exact client and server CPU model?
>
> Desktop is 8x of:
> model name	: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
>
> Server is 32x of:
> model name	: Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4110 CPU @ 2.10GHz

Your desktop CPU single-thread performance is significantly higher than
the server CPU: the former turbo to 3.5 GHz, while the latter only to
3.0 GHz. Moreover, for single-thread workloads Skylake client is 3-5%
faster than Skylake server at the same frequency.

So I think you simply are CPU limited. I remember doing some tests with
loopback RAM disks and finding that Gluster used 100% CPU (ie: full load
on an entire core) when doing 4K random writes. Side note: using
synchronized (ie: fsync) 4k writes, I only get ~600 IOPs even when
running both bricks on the same machine and backing them with RAM disks
(in other words, with no network or disk bottleneck).

Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico