[Gluster-users] Very poor GlusterFS Volume performance (glusterfs 8.2)

Marc Jakobs marc at knusperfisch.de
Thu Nov 12 19:13:39 UTC 2020

Hello,

thanks for your answer! Yes, I am using sharding. That the 1 Gigabit NIC
is the limit was my second thought as well, because when I run this
"performance" test on all three nodes at the same time, I get roughly
around ~80MB/sec, which is close(r) to the theoretical maximum
throughput of the NICs.

I was hoping that there is a way to more "loosen" the strict synchronous
approach of writing files to the other nodes to gain write performance
(and loose some security) so that files are being written faster
locally. But it seems like there is no way around this (other than the
way you mentioned w/ the new Thin Arbiter) and if the files would be
written asynchronously that would create other problems (like that the
destination must "poll" until a file appears).

So, the way to go for me would be to switch to 10GBit/sec NICs (maybe
even with Bonding) to get a better write performance that is closer to
the speed of the NVMe disks. In the mean-time, I have changed the
software architecture a bit and let the application that does the
writes, write directly to the local NVMe disk and then asynchronously
move the file(s) from the "buffer" to the gluster volume. This helps to
prevent that the application process is blocked for a too long time.

Thanks for your help and explanation! Marc