[Gluster-users] Readdirp (ls -l) Performance Improvement

RAFI KC rkavunga at redhat.com
Wed May 27 05:56:40 UTC 2020

Hi All,

I have been working on POC to improve readdirp performance improvement.
At the end of the experiment, The results are showing promising result
in performance, overall there is a 104% improvement for full filesystem
crawl compared to the existing solution. Here is the short test numbers.
The tests were carried out in 16*3 setup with 1.5 Million dentries (Both
files and dir). The system also contains some empty directories. *In the
result the proposed solution is 287% faster than the plane volume and
104% faster than the parallel-readdir based solution.*

*
*

Configuration

Plain volume

Parallel-readdir

Proposed Solution

FS Crawl Time in Seconds

16497.523

8717.872

4261.401

In short, the basic idea behind the proposal is the efficient managing
of readdir buffer in gluster along with prefetching the dentries for
intelligent switch-over to the next buffer. The detailed problem
description, deign description and results are available in the
doc.https://docs.google.com/document/d/10z4T5Sd_-wCFrmDrzyQtlWOGLang1_g17wO8VUxSiJ8/edit

If anybody can help with the testing on a different kind of workloads, I
would be very happy to assist. If wanted to test the patch and run a
performance test on your setup, I could help with back-porting the patch
to the version of your choice.

https://review.gluster.org/24469

https://review.gluster.org/24470

Regards