[Gluster-users] Extremely slow file listing in folders with many files

Strahil Nikolov hunter86_bg at yahoo.com
Fri May 1 05:37:15 UTC 2020

On April 30, 2020 9:05:19 PM GMT+03:00, Artem Russakovskii <archon810 at gmail.com> wrote:
>I did this on the same prod instance just now.
>
>'find' on a fuse gluster dir with 40k+ files:
>1st run: 3m56.261s
>2nd run: 0m24.970s
>3rd run: 0m24.099s
>
>At this point, I killed all gluster services on one of the 4 servers
>and
>verified that that brick went offline.
>
>1st run: 0m38.131s
>2nd run: 0m19.369s
>3rd run: 0m23.576s
>
>Nothing conclusive really IMO.
>
>Sincerely,
>Artem
>
>--
>Founder, Android Police <http://www.androidpolice.com>, APK Mirror
><http://www.apkmirror.com/>, Illogical Robot LLC
>beerpla.net | @ArtemR <http://twitter.com/ArtemR>
>

>On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 9:55 AM Strahil Nikolov <hunter86_bg at yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>
>> On April 30, 2020 6:27:10 PM GMT+03:00, Artem Russakovskii <
>> archon810 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >Hi Strahil, in the original email I included both the times for the
>> >first
>> >and subsequent reads on the fuse mounted gluster volume as well as
>the
>> >xfs
>> >filesystem the gluster data resides on (this is the brick, right?).
>> >
>> >On Thu, Apr 30, 2020, 7:44 AM Strahil Nikolov
><hunter86_bg at yahoo.com>

>and
>> >the
>(and

>under

>several
>file

>I'm
>> >not

>projid32bit=1
>> >rmapbt=0
>> >version=2
>> >lazy-count=1
>rtextents=0

>Mirror

>difference
>> >?

>> Hi Artem,
>>
>> My bad I missed the 'xfs' word... Still the difference  is huge.
>>
>> May I ask you to do a test again (pure curiosity) as follows:
>> 1. Repeat the test from before
>> 2. Stop 1 brick  and test again.
>>

>> P.S.: You can try it on the test cluster
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Strahil Nikolov

Hi Artem,

I was wondering if the 4th replica  is adding additional overhead (another dir to check), but the test is not very conclusive.

Actually the 'anomalities' log entries in your pool  could be a symptom of another pdoblem (just like the long listing time).

I will try to reproduce your setup (smaller scale -  1  brick 50k files)  and then will try with 3 bricks.

Best Regards,
Strahil Nikolov