[Gluster-users] gnfs split brain when 1 server in 3x1 down (high load) - help request

Erik Jacobson erik.jacobson at hpe.com
Mon Mar 30 16:54:59 UTC 2020

> Hi Erik,
> Sadly I didn't have the time to take a look in your logs, but I would like to ask you whether you have statiatics of the network bandwidth usage.
> Could it be possible that the gNFS server is  starved for bandwidth and fails to reach all bricks  leading to 'split-brain' errors ?

I understand. I doubt there is a bandwidth issue but I'll add this to my
checks. We have 288 nodes per server normally and they run fine with all
servers up. The 76 number is just what we happened to have access to on
an internal system.

Question: What you mentioned above, and a feeling I have too personally
is -- is the split-brain error actually a generic catch-all error for
not being able to get access to a file? So when it says "split-brain"
could it really mean any type of access error? Could it also be given
when there is a IO timeout or something?

I'm starting to break open the source code to look around but I think my
head will explode before I understand it enough. I will still give it a
shot.

I have access to this system until later tonight. Then it goes away. We
have duplicated it on another system that stays, but the machine
internally is so contended for that I wouldn't get a time slot until
later in the week anyway. Trying to make as much use of this "gift"
machine as I can :) :)

Thanks again for the replies so far.

Erik