[Gluster-users] Convert to Sharding

Amar Tumballi amar at kadalu.io
Sun Mar 22 05:55:16 UTC 2020

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 4:29 AM Gionatan Danti <g.danti at assyoma.it> wrote:

> Il 2020-03-21 21:02 Strahil Nikolov ha scritto:
> > WARNING: DO NOT DISABLE  SHARDING!!!
> > EVER!
>
> Sorry to hijack, but I am genuinely curious: why sharding should not be
> disabled? What does happen if/when disabling sharding?

When 'Sharding' is enabled, a single file gets broken into multiple files,
based on offset. But when one does 'readdir()' (ie, ls), those files are
hidden, and only the valid entry is shown from the Shard xlator in the
graph.

Now, when shard is disabled, these files are exposed directly on the
mountpoint, confusing the user, and making the previously successfully
written files inaccessible.

Hope this helps you to understand why disabling Shard once enabled is hard!

-Amar

> Thanks.
>
> --
> Danti Gionatan
> Supporto Tecnico
> Assyoma S.r.l. - www.assyoma.it [1]
> email: g.danti at assyoma.it - info at assyoma.it
> GPG public key ID: FF5F32A8
> ________
>

> Community Meeting Calendar:
>
> Schedule -
> Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 14:30 IST / 09:00 UTC
> Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

https://kadalu.io
Container Storage made easy!