[Gluster-users] Latest NFS-Ganesha Gluster Integration docs

Soumya Koduri skoduri at redhat.com
Tue Jun 30 05:35:26 UTC 2020

Hi,

On 6/29/20 7:30 AM, wkmail at bneit.com wrote:
> For many years, we have maintained a number of standalone,
> hyperconverged Gluster/Libvirt clusters  Replica 2 + Arbiter using Fuse
> mount and Sharding.
>
> Performance has been mostly acceptable. The clusters have high
> availability and we have had very zero problems over the years as long
> as we do green field upgrades to new major versions.
>
> So that is the beauty of Gluster in our opinion. It is easy to setup and
> use and it simply works without much thought.
>
> As we ask more of our VMs, we see that disk i/o sometimes is a
> bottleneck and I am looking at improving things.
>
> On this list I keep on seeing comments that VM performance is better on
> NFS and a general dissatisfaction with Fuse. So we are looking to see
> for ourselves if NFS would be an improvement.
>
> We looked into gfapi but our hosts are mostly Ubuntu and gfapi is not
> built in. We would prefer to stay with stock components for the critical
> underbelly of the infrastructure.
>
> So in looking into NFS,  I find instructions for NFS-Ganesha as a
> standalone, and I see mentions of Gluster Drivers but then I see
> mentions of StorHaug which sort of seems to be worked on. I also see
> pacemaker type failover instructions.

There are gluster docs available to manually setup NFS-Ganesha on top of
gluster -

Standalone-

https://docs.gluster.org/en/latest/Administrator%20Guide/NFS-Ganesha%20GlusterFS%20Integration/#step-by-step-procedures-to-exporting-glusterfs-volume-via-nfs-ganesha

HA (using Pacemaker) -

https://docs.gluster.org/en/latest/Administrator%20Guide/NFS-Ganesha%20GlusterFS%20Integration/#using-highly-available-active-active-nfs-ganesha-and-glusterfs-cli

Its been a while since this document was added. So please let us know if
you run into any errors or any details are missing.

Also there are ansible playbooks written automating all the above manual
steps to configure NFS-Ganesha HA on Gluster. Maybe you could try that.

https://github.com/gluster/gluster-ansible-features

Thanks,
Soumya