[Gluster-users] State of Gluster project

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw at ithnet.com
Wed Jun 17 21:27:18 UTC 2020

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 00:06:33 +0300
Mahdi Adnan <mahdi at sysmin.io> wrote:

> [gluster going down ]

I am following this project for quite some years now, probably longer than
most of the people nowadays on the list. The project started with the
brilliant idea of making a fs on top of classical fs's distributed over
several hardware pieces without need to re-copy data for entering or leaving
the gluster. (I thought) it started as a proof-of-concept fs on fuse with the
intention to turn into kernel-space as soon as possible to get the performance
that it should have for a fs.
After five years of waiting (and using) I declared the project dead for our
use (about five years ago) because it evolved more and more to bloatware. And
I do think that Red Hat understood that finally (too), and what you mentioned
is just the outcome of that.
I really hate the way this project took, because for me it was visible from
the very start that it is a dead-end. After all those years it is bloatware on
fuse. And I feel very sorry for that brilliant idea that it once was.
_FS IN USERSPACE IS SH*T_  - understand that.

Stephan