[Gluster-users] State of Gluster project

Mahdi Adnan mahdi at sysmin.io
Fri Jun 19 19:33:44 UTC 2020

 My concern for Glusterd2 deprecation is, it tried to implement and fix
several things that we need in Gluster, and the promised features were not
considered in Gluster afterward "better logging, Journal Based Replication".
We're running both Ceph and Gluster, while both solutions are great in
terms of features and performance, Gluster is a little bit behind in terms
of stability and monitoring, We have multiple production clusters running
Gluster and Red Hat Gluster, and both are somehow challenging
"stability wise" when trying to update or replace a node or brick,
administration operations are risky.
Troubleshooting tools is something also has not improved from the past
releases.
The strength of Gluster, in my opinion, is the simplicity of creating
distributed volumes that can be consumed by different clients, and this is
why we chose Gluster back in 2016 as our main VMs Storage backend for
VMWare and oVirt.
Red Hat contribution to the project is important of course and when we see
that major product like OCS is replacing Gluster with Ceph raises some
eyebrows.
The announcement of Kadalu a few months ago "or at least when we noticed
it" was uncomfortable, as part of the core team of Gluster is now focusing
on a new project, although it is depending on Gluster, Kadalu is focusing
on persistence storage for containers, while Gluster use cases are not
limited to containers.
We suffered "and still" from performance issues with Gluster on use
cases related to small files, but Gluster as a storage backend for Virtual
Machines is really performant.
Sadly I haven't contributed to the project, but I still want this project
to evolve more and be used widely as I still see it as a good Distributed
Storage option, with the hope of more focus on stability, tooling for
easier troubleshooting and practical monitoring.

--
Respectfully
Mahdi