[Gluster-users] State of Gluster project

Dmitry Melekhov dm at belkam.com
Thu Jun 18 10:11:44 UTC 2020

18.06.2020 13:55, Stephan von Krawczynski пишет:
> On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 13:06:51 +0400
> Dmitry Melekhov <dm at belkam.com> wrote:
>
>> 18.06.2020 12:54, Stephan von Krawczynski пишет:
>>> _FS IN USERSPACE IS SH*T_  - understand that.
>>>
>> we use qemu and it uses gfapi... :-)
> And exactly this kind of "insight" is base of my critics. gfapi is _userspace_
> on client (given, without fuse), but does not at all handle the basic glusterfs
> problem: the need to go through _userspace_ on _server_.

Sorry, I can't understand what is real problem here? Gluster is not
fast, but I don't think problem is in client in userspace.

I guess it is possible to write kernel module  :-)

> If it was implemented like it should you would have almost _no_ difference,
> because you would be able to split up the two network paths to gluster servers
> (for a setup with two) on different switches and network cards on client.

Never had problem in this on 10Gbit network, we can't saturate 10Gbit
(well, really 20 ) using gluster.

btw, gluster 4 was promised to have different networks for clients and
inter-server replication ( healing) ,

but when glusterd2 arrived it has nothing about this.

Anyway, we are quite happy with our current gluster setup, which allows
us have just 3 servers and no shared storage in several places,

not suitable for all our workloads though, so gluster is not universal tool.