[Gluster-users] NFS clients show missing files while gluster volume rebalanced

Erik Jacobson erik.jacobson at hpe.com
Thu Jan 30 00:20:34 UTC 2020

We are using gluster 4.1.6. We are using gluster NFS (not ganesha).

Distributed/replicated with subvolume size 3 (6 total servers, 2
subvols).

The NFS clients use this for their root filesystem.

When I add 3 more gluster servers to add one more subvolume to the
storage volumes (so now subvolume size 3, 9 total servers, 3 total
subvolumes), the process gets started.

ssh leader1 gluster volume add-brick cm_shared 172.23.0.9://data/brick_cm_shared 172.23.0.10://data/brick_cm_shared 172.23.0.11://data/brick_cm_shared

then

ssh leader1 gluster volume rebalance cm_shared start

The re-balance works. 'gluster volume status' shows re-balance in
progress.

However, existing gluster-NFS clients now show missing files and I can
no longer log into them (since NFS is their root). If you are logged in,
you can find that libraries are missing and general unhappiness with
random files now missing.

Is accessing a volume that is in the process of being re-balanced not
supported from a gluster NFS client? Or have I made an error?

Thank you for any help,

Erik