[Gluster-users] Orphaned shard files

Stefan gluster at stefanseidel.info
Fri Jan 24 13:12:12 UTC 2020

I actually found something even scarier: there are two .shard directories on the bricks. One is in the root (same level as .glusterfs), and one is in a subdirectory (which is called data/host). This seems like a huge bug to me, especially because it looks as if some shards are now in .shard/ and some shards (especially the more recent ones) are in data/host/.shard/

I suspect that might have happened because I was mounting a subdirectory like this on one of the clients:
host-01:/backupv01/data/host /mnt/backup glusterfs defaults,_netdev,backupvolfile-server=host-06 0 0

Is there any explanation and remedy for this pretty tricky situation?

The shard files in data/host/.shard do NOT belong to the files under data/host, but to other files in a higher-level directory.

Stefan