[Gluster-users] Replication logic

Strahil Nikolov hunter86_bg at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 26 21:46:09 UTC 2020

Merry Christmas!

>I have set up a replica 3 arbiter 1 volume. Is there a way to turn
>the arbiter into a full replica without breaking the volume and
>losing the metadata that is already on the arbiter?
Yes, you have to use "remove-brick" with the option "replica" to reduce the replica count and then reformat the arbiter brick and add it back.

>where brick2<->brick3 is a high-speed connection, but brick1<->brick2
>and brick1<->brick3 are low speed, and data is fed to brick1, is there
>a way to tell the volume that brick1 should only feed brick2 and let
>brick2 feed brick3 if (and only if) all three are online, rather than
>brick1 feeding both brick2 and brick3?
Erm... this is not how it works. The FUSE client (mount -t glusterfs) is writing to all bricks in the replica volume, not the brick to brick.What you have described is the old legacy NFS (currently requires rebuild from source).

>If there is no way to configure this, does brick1 in the default
>behaviour send all files sequentially to both other bricks, or does
>it initially send different files to each of them, so that they get
>a chance to also share between themselves?

As I mentioned , the FUSE client is replicating the data during writes, while uses the fastest responding brick for reads.

What are you trying to achive ? What is your setup (clients,servers,etc) ?

Best Regards,
Strahil Nikolov