[Gluster-users] gluster volume rebalance making things more unbalanced

Joe Julian joe at julianfamily.org
Thu Aug 27 14:53:37 UTC 2020

When a file should be moved based on its dht hash mapping but the target that it should be moved to has less free space than the origin, the rebalance command does not move the file and leaves the dht pointer in place. When you use "force", you override that behavior and always move each file regardless of free space.

In theory, eventually when the rebalance is finished you should end up with utilization mostly balanced but as the rebalance is processing you may end up in the state you show.