[Gluster-users] performance

Computerisms Corporation bob at computerisms.ca
Tue Aug 4 03:01:17 UTC 2020

Hi Gurus,

I have been trying to wrap my head around performance improvements on my
gluster setup, and I don't seem to be making any progress.  I mean
forward progress.  making it worse takes practically no effort at all.

My gluster is distributed-replicated across 6 bricks and 2 servers, with
an arbiter on each server.  I designed it like this so I have an
expansion path to more servers in the future (like the staggered arbiter
diagram in the red hat documentation).  gluster v info output is below.
I have compiled gluster 7.6 from sources on both servers.

Servers are 6core/3.4Ghz with 32 GB RAM, no swap, and SSD and gigabit
network connections.  They are running debian, and are being used as
redundant web servers.  There is some 3Million files on the Gluster
Storage averaging 130KB/file.  Currently only one of the two servers is
serving web services.  There are well over 100 sites, and apache
server-status claims around 5 hits per second, depending on time of day,
so a fair bit of logging going on.  The gluster is only holding website
data and config files that will be common between the two servers, no
databases or anything like that on the Gluster.

When the serving server is under load load average is consistently
12-20.  glusterfs is always at the top with 150%-250% cpu, and each of 3
bricks at roughly 50-70%, so consistently pegging 4 of the 6 cores.
apache processes will easily eat up all the rest of the cpus after that.
  And web page response time is underwhelming at best.

Interestingly, mostly because it is not something I have ever
experienced before, software interrupts sit between 1 and 5 on each
core, but the last core is usually sitting around 20.  Have never
encountered a high load average where the si number was ever
significant.  I have googled the crap out of that (as well as gluster
performance in general), there are nearly limitless posts about what it
is, but have yet to see one thing to explain what to do about it.  Sadly
I can't really shut down the gluster process to confirm if that is the
cause, but it's a pretty good bet, I think.

When the system is not under load, glusterfs will be running at around
100% with each of the 3 bricks around 35%, so using 2 cores when doing
not much of anything.

nload shows the network cards rarely climb above 300 Mbps unless I am
doing a direct file transfer between the servers, in which case it gets
right up to the 1Gbps limit.  RAM is never above 15GB unless I am
causing it to happen.  atop show a disk busy percentage, it is often
above 50% and sometimes will hit 100%, and is no where near as
consistently showing excessive usage like the cpu cores are.  The cpu
definitely seems to be the bottleneck.

When I found out about the groups directory, I figured one of those must
be useful to me, but as best as I can tell they are not.  But I am
really hoping that someone has configured a system like mine and has a
good group file they might share for this situation, or a peak at their
volume info output?

or maybe this is really just about as good as I should expect?  Maybe
the fix is that I need more/faster cores?  I hope not, as that isn't
really an option.

Anyway, here is my volume info as promised.

root at mooglian:/Computerisms/sites/computerisms.ca/log# gluster v info

Volume Name: webisms
Type: Distributed-Replicate
Volume ID: 261901e7-60b4-4760-897d-0163beed356e
Snapshot Count: 0
Number of Bricks: 2 x (2 + 1) = 6
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: mooglian:/var/GlusterBrick/replset-0/webisms-replset-0
Brick2: moogle:/var/GlusterBrick/replset-0/webisms-replset-0
Brick3: moogle:/var/GlusterBrick/replset-0-arb/webisms-replset-0-arb
(arbiter)
Brick4: moogle:/var/GlusterBrick/replset-1/webisms-replset-1
Brick5: mooglian:/var/GlusterBrick/replset-1/webisms-replset-1
Brick6: mooglian:/var/GlusterBrick/replset-1-arb/webisms-replset-1-arb
(arbiter)
Options Reconfigured:
auth.allow: xxxx
performance.client-io-threads: off
nfs.disable: on
storage.fips-mode-rchecksum: on
transport.address-family: inet
performance.stat-prefetch: on
network.inode-lru-limit: 200000
performance.write-behind-window-size: 4MB
performance.readdir-ahead: on
performance.io-thread-count: 64
performance.cache-size: 8GB
server.event-threads: 8